ESAD 2017 Occasions Catalogue and Sale-a-bration Sneak Peek blog hop

Welcome to another ESAD blog hop. Whether you are starting with me or have hopped over from seeing the fabulous projects my talented friend Kelly Kent has made, you are in for a real treat. We are giving you a sneak peek at some of the new products from the 2017 Stampin’ Up! Occasions and Sale-a-bration catalogues. That’s just one of the perks of being a demonstrator – you get to order before anyone else in the world. You will be able to order any of these products from January 4th. Spend $90 and you can choose from one of the fabulous free products in the Sale-a-bration catalogue.
There are so many great products but my absolute favourite are the new Watercolour Pencils. They are beautiful to use and make watercolouring easy if you follow a few simple steps. Today I have used them with a great stamp set called Mediterranean Moments.


This is one stamp set that is easy to dismiss but when you start colouring it, it really comes to life. I have coloured each of the 4 images and then made them into a tent card. If you go the trouble of watercolouring, you really want the recipient to be able to stand up your card and admire it! It is simply a concertina (similar to this one) attached to form the stand. I have added a panel to the back for the message.


I have made frames using the Layering Squares Framelits and raised with foam adhesive strips to give a picture frame effect.


These watercolour pencils work well on Shimmery White cardstock as you can see here with the Vespa and cat cards.


And of course they also work well on watercolour paper.


If you find colouring images like this a bit daunting, I have some tips to help you break it down and bring out your inner artist.


I’ll let you into a little secret…….I’m not one bit artistic…….but I can follow rules……well painting rules at least! Some lucky people can just start painting and what they see in their head makes it onto the paper. Mine always ends up looking like a 4 year old has been finger painting! Well the new watercolour pencils take a bit of the stress out of watercolouring and give you a bit more control.


Here are my tips that will allow you to create watercolour masterpieces:
·         Tip the water out of your aqua painter. Dip the tip into a pot of water and blot on a towel. This gives you far more control of the colour, especially when you are colouring little areas.
·         Start on one part of the image, usually the thing that jumps out at you. If it is a flower, choose one petal. In these Mediterranean images I started with the greenery.
·         Colour in parts of the image, leaving parts white. Use soft swirly strokes rather than hard straight strokes. Press harder where you want it to be a bit darker such as shadows and areas further back. When you start to paint with your aqua painter draw a bit of the colour into the white space to create the lighter shade.
·         Continue picking out sections, colouring with watercolour pencils then painting with your aqua painter. Once you complete sections it makes it easier to choose colours and shading for remaining areas.
·         If you don’t have the exact shade mix 2 together by colouring the second over the top. When you wet with the aqua painter they mix together. For most of my foliage I have used the Old Olive and either Daffodil Delight or Pacific Point watercolour pencils.
·         Lastly, don’t stress about it, just relax and let it flow.


Now make sure you hop around to see what everyone else has created. If you get lost each post has the line up so you can get back on track. Next you are off to see the great projects that Rose Desmond has got to show you.

Lou
http://stampingwithrosalie.blogspot.com.au/2016/12/esad-2017-occasions-and-sale-bration.html

BLOG HOP PARTICIPANTS:

Comments

  1. So lovely Lou - you've really made this stamp set shine!!! Thanks for putting on another great ESAD hop! Kelly x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I wasn't overly fussed with this set when I saw it, but I think you've changed my opinion Lou! These are gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping someone was going to choose this set to feature, thank you Lou

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous colouring Lou and great idea to use the tent card so all that beautiful work can be displayed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing way to use this set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lou , these are lovely ! I am playing with this set at the moment so thanks so much for inspiring me even more and for the great tips on watercoloring !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these samples. One of my favourite techniques is watercolouring. Thanks for the tips Lou.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous project. They would look lovely on a wall. I might just have to buy this stamp set now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Lou, these are amazing! And you sre so right when you watercolour you do want the recipient to prop it for all to see. Great tips and ideas. Thanks for sharing, Nerida

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lou these are so so brilliant, I was not getting this set but these are so good. Love the style of card as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great effect for these cards, really makes them works of art! Great colouring too, I just love those pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my!! I don't believe your awesomeness Lou. What beautiful colouring and ideas. Thanks so much for participating in the blog hop and thanks for organising it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job Lou, these look fantastic. Love the tent fold.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my word ... these are so lovely ... love your colouring ... worthy of being framed and popping on the wall! Thanks for organizing the ESAD Blog Hops - you do a fantastic job x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your watercoloring is lovely. Such a great use of this stamp set. Thank you for all your efforts, very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG!!!!!!!!! I want to be like you!!! How stunning are these!!! I have shared this with my team..... And I'm off to order the pencils.. because I can't wait till next month! LOVE LOVE LOVE your tips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW oh wow these are absolutely beautiful and great tips for using the watercolour pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! Great tips thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome projects and post! Love the framed look and it's so perfect with this stamp set. I love it all! I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  20. One word Lou- magnificent!!!!! You have done an amazing job with this set x

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing your cards and your tips for using watercolor pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is awesome - can you give some of the measurements for card sizes?
    Donna Snider

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna I have instructions here for making the cards. https://withabowontopbylou.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/watercolour-tent-calendar.html The square cards are just cut double the width. The mats are about 1 cm in from each edge. Hope that helps. Lou

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.