A special note of thanks for Just Add Ink #320 and Global Design Project #GDP045

Time to crack open a set of thinlits that I just had to have but haven't had time to use - Flourish Thinlits by Stampin' Up!. And what better way to use them than for a challenge ..... or 2?

http://www.global-design-project.com/2016/07/global-design-project-045-colour18.html

http://just-add-ink.blogspot.com.au/2016/07/just-add-ink-320sketch.html

I wanted to create an elegant thank you card and the sentiment from the Floral Phrases was perfect. I love the fonts used.


I'm sure you can see that I have used the colour scheme for the Global Design Project challenge #GDP045 but can you see that I have also used the sketch from Just Add Ink JAI #320? I've taken a bit of a liberty with the flower. It isn't exactly the same scale as the butterfly. That's the great thing about challenges - they start you off and you can change bits here and there.


To make the flower flourish really 'pop' I have glued a Smoky Slate one behind the black with just a bit poking out to create a shadow. Tiny pieces of Stampin' Dimensionals hold the flourish up. Raising elements like this flourish and the circles and sentiments lifts your design. So if your card is literally looking flat, raise an element or two and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes.


I created an inlay effect on the card front by cutting the border design out from the Whisper White (and using inside). Into this space I glued a black border. A piece of Melon Mambo scrap was adhered behind. Then I carefully removed the little white centres from the die cut and adhered them into place on the black. The Fine Tip Glue Pen makes this really easy.


The inside uses another sentiment from the Floral Phrases stamp set to complete the sentence. I have cut the border die cut down. It was left over after my inlay technique on the card front.


PS. I lost a day somewhere along the line as was a day late to enter the Just Add Ink Challenge! Oh well...... it's been one of those weeks!
PPS. I just saw this week's challenge over at Just Add Ink JAI #321 which is to Just Add...Paper Piecing. So maybe I can enter another challenge after all. The inlay detail that I did on the front of the card is a type of paper piecing and I think this card fits this challenge much better than the sketch. Must be a sign!


Product List

Comments

  1. What a great use of these dies Lou! You have used the colours in the challenge beautifully. Your card is well balanced and elegant. Thanks for joining us at Global Design Project for this colour challenge and good luck for the Guest DT pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula. I am really happy with how it turned out and photographed. Amazing what changing a setting on the camera will do!

      Delete
  2. WOW Lou, this card is spectacular! I love your use of the dies. Thanks so much for playing along to the Global Design Project. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. They aren't my usual colours so it was fun to step out of my comfort zone!

      Delete
  3. This is such an elegant card Lou and I love your use of the smoky shadow and your paper pieced border is so striking too! Thanks for sharing with us again at Just Add Ink :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, isn't it serendipitous that your card, too late for the intended JAI challenge, fits in with our new challenge?! The paper-pieced border looks awesome, Lou. Thanks for joining in the fun at Just Add Ink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The paper piecing really lifts the border design Lou (love how you have used all of the three colours in your design there). And funny but fortunate that it was perfect for this weeks Just Add Ink challenge too. Glad you could join us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love how you've added the extra detail of the smokey slate behind your flourish!
    Thanks for sharing with us this week.

    Trish
    JAI Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this was totally mean't to be and I'm so glad it fit into the challenge perfectly!! I love that floral die you used and its so stylish in black, with the white and pink highlights. So very glad you joined us at Just Add Ink!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.